Florence doesn’t distinguish itself from other cities just for its history and culture, but also because it offers a culinary tradition full of dishes such as the “schiacciata con l’uva alla fiorentina” (Florentine Schiacciata cake with grapes), a seasonal cake able to satisfy the greediest of palates!
Schiacciata con l’uva alla fiorentina
To prepare this cake the ingredients are really few and easy. According to traditional recipes, you have to use a particular type of grapes, called canaiol grapes which are produced in the Chianti area. These grapes are very watery therefore inappropiate for wine-making.
If it is too difficult to find canaiol grapes you can use strawberry grapes as an alternative, which are smaller but sweet and juicy. In any case, do not take out the seeds!
The traditional Schiacciata with grapes recipe
How can you prepare the Florentine schiacciata with grapes observing the traditional recipe?
- Preparation: 30-40 minutes + time for rising (about 1h).
- Cooking: about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heated oven: 180°.
The doses here are for a cake-baking pan with tall edges.
- 1kg of black grapes
- 500 gr of risen pasta
- 150 gr of sugar
- olive extravergine oil
- Take the rised dough and knead it with 4 spoonfuls of oil and 50 gramms of sugar. Sprinkle some flour on the table, divide your dough into two parts, roll out one of the two until you have a rectangular fillo dough (it has to have the same size as the baking tray you are going to use).
- Take the baking tray and lightly cover with oil, roll out the dough in and cover it with 3/4 grapes, pressing the grapes to make the juice come out. Then sprinkle some sugar on top and add 2 spoonfuls of oil.
- Take the other part of the dough and roll it out and place it on top and add some grapes. Finally seal the edges and cover everything with the remaining sugar and oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes and take out when it is browned. Wait until it is warm before devouring!
If you want to prepare the dough too, 1 hour of rising or more is necessary:
- 250 gr of “type 0” flour
- 1 glass of water
- 1 spoonful of sugar
- 1/2 a cube of brewer’s yeast
Now with this scrumptuous schiacciata con l’uva alla fiorentina recipe, all you have to do is try it!
Photo Credit: librestock.com